UPSC Prelims is among the most competitive exams in India. Cracking this exam requires a lot of hard work, intelligence, and skill. This exam covers topics related to current events general studies, history, geography, economics, general polity, etc. This year, UPSC Prelims are scheduled for 28 May 2023.
If you are an aspiring candidate intimidated by the upcoming exams, we have some tips here. Check out how to cover the IAS syllabus on time and how to make an effective strategy to solve UPSC Prelims questions below.
How to Solve UPSC Prelims 2023 Questions
Cracking UPSC Prelims is the gateway to becoming an IAS officer. Some of the steps towards cracking this competitive exam include covering the entire syllabus, devising an effective study strategy, and following it religiously. Many UPSC toppers follow unique strategies to solve UPSC Prelims questions as it helps them get a competitive edge.
As an aspiring candidate, you should be familiar with the format of the UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2023 to determine which sections you should solve first. You should also prepare for the exam in a strategic manner to increase your chances of cracking the exam.
Why Do You Need a Strategy to Solve UPSC Prelims Questions
As UPSC Prelims is a competitive exam, every minute you spend solving a question can determine your overall result. Here is why you should have a strategy to solve UPSC Prelims questions.
- Having a strategy to solve questions can save the candidate time and effort in the exam.
- It can help them solve questions more efficiently and do better than their competitors.
- Some of the strategies are used by toppers to give their best in competitive exams.
Steps to Solve UPSC Prelims Questions
A highly analytical approach is required to solve UPSC Prelims Questions. Candidates who follow a smart approach are more likely to crack the exam than others. As per our strategy, you must go through the question paper and carefully categorize the questions into the following:
- Easy (E): Questions You’re 100% Sure About
- Moderate (M): Questions You’re Somewhat Sure About
- Difficult (D): Questions You can Indirectly Find the Answer To
As you skim through the UPSC Prelims Questions, you can mark the questions as E, M, or D and solve them according to the steps shared below.
Step 1: Solve Questions You’re 100% Sure About
- Target questions you are fully sure about and solve them on priority.
- Make sure you solve them as quickly as possible to leave more time for other questions.
- This smart strategy will help you cover the easiest UPSC Prelims questions in the least amount of time.
Step 2: Solve Questions You’re Somewhat Sure About
- The next step is to solve questions you are partially sure about.
- Carefully examine the options for these questions and choose the best possible answer.
- Take more time to think about the answers to these questions and mark them on the answer sheet.
Step 3: Solve Questions You can Indirectly Find the Answer To
- The third step should be to take up questions you can indirectly find the answer to.
- For such questions, you might need more time to analyze all the options to select the answer.
- Eliminate the most unlikely options first to solve such questions.
- You should take the most time to solve the hardest questions.
Tips to Solve UPSC Prelims Questions
UPSC Prelims questions can intimidate the best of candidates. Here are some tips to keep in mind for candidates who are appearing in the upcoming UPSC Prelims exam.
- Stay calm: Reading the question paper can baffle candidates sometimes, however, it is extremely important to remain calm. Check your breathing and maintain your composure. It will help you avoid any exam anxiety.
- Stick to your exam strategy: Do not change your exam strategy at the last moment. Stick to the plan and solve the UPSC Prelims questions according to your chosen exam strategy.